Tales from the Hairy Bottle

It's a sad and beautiful world

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Name some songs with numbers in the title. That was the innocent challenge thrown down by A Small Victory on Friday.

Fair enough I thought - I added some suggestions of my own to the impressive list of comments which had been put forward. Coming back later, I noticed that a good many of the numbers from 1 to 100 had been covered, and thought that with a bit of effort I could probably think of a few more which could be added. This tempted my mind into a direction which was destined to ruin my weekend. With so many numbers already accounted for, would it be possible to compile a list of songs containing all of the numbers from 1 to 100?

I was fairly sure that the answer would be 'Yes', but the challenge would be to try to do so while at the same time trying to ensure that the tracks suggested, or at least the artists, were familiar to those with an interest in music. In my efforts to achieve this, the choice of tracks has inevitably been biased by my own tastes in certain cases. I tried to avoid cop-outs, short-cuts and cheats in my suggestions. Some may question some of the proposals. I would only say that I would welcome any constructive criticism in the form of suggestions for improvements to the list.

My initial entries were based on the 'A Small Victory' list, which I then amended and expanded based on my own resources. I have to admit that this still left me short of about 30 numbers, but by this time I couldn't stop short of my target, so I hunted down the remaining numbers from the internet (principally allmusic.com). You may wish to have a go yourself before looking at my list.

The results are as follows:-

One - U2
Two Out of Three Ain't Bad - Meat Loaf
Three Times A Lady - The Commodores
Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin
Five Years - David Bowie
If Six Was Nine - Jimi Hendrix
Seven Seconds - Youssou N'Dour with Neneh Cherry
Eight Miles High - The Byrds
Revolution #9 - The Beatles
Ten Years Gone - Led Zeppelin
11 O'Clock Tick Tock - U2
12:51 - The Strokes
Thirteen - Big Star
14 Years - Guns 'N Roses
TVC15 - David Bowie
Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen - Neil Sedaka
17 Seconds - The Cure
Eighteen - Alice Cooper
19th Nervous Breakdown - Rolling Stones
20th Century Boy - Marc Bolan & T-Rex
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
22 Acacia Avenue - Iron Maiden
57th Minute of the 23rd Hour - Galliano
24 Hours from Tulsa - Gene Pitney
25th Floor - Patti Smith
26-2 - John Coltrane
7:27 - The Adicts
28 - Steppenwolf
29 Palms - Robert Plant
Thirty Days - Chuck Berry
Route 31 - Champion Jack Dupree
32-20 Blues - Robert Johnson
Thirty-Three - Smashing Pumpkins
#34 - Dave Matthews
Rainy Day Women #12 and #35 - Bob Dylan
36 Degrees - Placebo
Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37) = Peter Gabriel
Epic (#38) - Grace Slick
'39 - Queen
40 - U2
American Skin (41 Shots) - Bruce Springsteen
42nd Street - Diana Krall
Hymn 43 - Jethro Tull
Forty-Four - Howling Wolf
5:45 - Gang of Four
46 + 2 - Tool
47 - Sunny Day Real Estate
4:48 Psychosis - Tindersticks
49 Bye Byes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
Highway 51 - Bob Dylan
52 Girls - B-52's
53rd and 3rd - The Ramones
54 Duncan Terrace - Allan Holdsworth
Ol'55 - Tom Waits
56 Hope Road - Sugar Ray
57 Channels (and Nothin' On) - Bruce Springsteen
Poem 58 - Chicago
59th Bridge Street Song - Simon & Garfunkel
C30, C60, C90, Go! - Bow, Wow, Wow
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Rocket Reducer No. 62 (Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa) - MC5
My '63 - Neko Case with the Sadies
When I'm 64 - The Beatles
Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie
Route 66 - Chuck Berry
Questions 67 and 68 - Chicago
68 Guns - The Alarm
Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
Beat 70 - Pat Metheny Group
Down '71 (The Getaway) - Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony
Emergency 72 - Turin Brakes
Arlington 73 - Crass
Teenage Lament '74 - Alice Cooper
'74-'75 - The Connells
Spirit of '76 - The Alarm
Blizzard of '77 - Nada Surf
78 Stone Wobble - Gomez
Pieces of 79 & 15 - The Strawbs
80 - Green Day
Eighty-One - Miles Davis
Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? - Bruce Springsteen
Apathy 83 - Ian Hunter
New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) - Simple Minds
Alive in 85 - Broken Social Scene
86 - Green Day
'87 And Cry - David Bowie
88 - Sum 41
Pop Song 89 - REM
Route 90 - Los Lobos
Freedom '91 - New Model Army
Palomar '92 - The Rheostatics
93 'til Infinity - Souls of Mischief
94 Hours - As I Lay Dying
Durango 95- The Ramones
96 Tears - ? and the Mysterians
The Wreck of the Old '97 - Johnny Cash
Fantasy 98 - Geroge Michael
99 Red Balloons - Nena
100 Years Ago - The Rolling Stones

5 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

25 or 6 to 4, by Chicago!

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger No BS said...

Great creativity! How about "Seven" by Prince?

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I was tempted by "25 or 6 to 4" instead of the Patti Smith track, but I already had two other Chicago tracks (some bands seem to have a predilection for numerical titles) so I opted for the former.

"Seven Seconds" is a particular favourite of mine, so it was one of the first on my list, but the Prince track would have been equally good. Thanks for the suggestion!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Curiosity turned into obsession, which subsequently became a lost weekend.

I'd love to say that all the entries came from my grey matter alone, but I have to admit to needing some cyberspatial support to finish off the project, principally from the encyclopaedic allmusic.com.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger (S)wine said...

What about "Murder By Numbers" by the Police. That's got "numbers" in the title.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home