Tales from the Hairy Bottle

It's a sad and beautiful world

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Who can be bothered to read license agreements before installing software? To find out, PC Pitstop.com added an unusual clause to one of their End User License Agreements

Pitstop EULA clause

Out of more than 3,000 downloads, only one reply was received. Living up to their promise, PC Pitstop sent him a cheque for $1,000.

The column goes on to give real-life examples of what we may be signing up to when we press the "I Accept" button. I would love to say that I've learned a valuable lesson from the article, but something tells me I'll still be clicking the "I have read and agree with..." button with crossed fingers. Life just seems to short for legalese.

A better approach, it seems to me, is to download software from trusted software wherever possible, and to check reviews such as those at CNet's Download.com before installing if there are any lingering doubts. Having virus/spyware detection software installed and active as a last line of defence goes without saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home