Tales from the Hairy Bottle

It's a sad and beautiful world

Sunday, January 30, 2005

The news so far concerning the turn-out in the Iraqi elections appears to be positive.

I have seen estimates of anywhere between 60% and 72% which, under the violent circumstances, is a great tribute to the courage of the Iraqi people. The results will, of course, be declared unrepresentative by many Sunnis who were under far more pressure and influence not to vote, and the violence will without doubt continue unabated, but the political will of the Iraqi people to govern themselves democratically has been demonstrated unequivocally today.

The election is important not so much in terms of the way votes have been cast at this stage, but in showing to the outside world that the Iraqi in the street wants to vote not bomb their way out of their current predicament. Unfortunately the media's focus on the shock-and-awe media stunts of the bombers and kidnappers does not clearly give this impression.

Today's turn-out demonstrates clearly to the outside world which direction the Iraqi people want to go. This does not mean that they necessarily love their occupiers. They may not have welcomed the invasion which has given them this opportunity. However, regardless of their feelings about the past, the Iraqis have demonstrated today that they see the pursuit of the democratic process as their best option for the future.

V-sign to the terrorists

I love this photo. It says so much about today's vote, but hang on, I hope that doesn't say Pepsi Cola in Arabic on the banner behind her!

Pepsi logo

2 Comments:

At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, I found your blog searching for portugal car hire and I find it great although it doesn't cover exactly the portugal car hire I was looking for. Anyway I'll be visiting your blog regularly as I found here interesting thoughts.
Keep up the good work!

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, I found your blog searching for portugal car hire and I find it great although it doesn't cover exactly the portugal car hire I was looking for. Anyway I'll be visiting your blog regularly as I found here interesting thoughts.
Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home