Tales from the Hairy Bottle

It's a sad and beautiful world

Monday, December 01, 2003

If you were ever in any doubt as to whether Donald Rumsfeld talks crap, the Plain English Campaign have awarded him their Foot in Mouth Award for 2003 for this no nonsense, plain-speaking comment:-

'Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know.'

I'm glad we've cleared that up then...

Winners from previous years include the following gems:-

'I know who I am. No one else knows who I am. If I was a giraffe and somebody said I was a snake, I'd think 'No, actually I am a giraffe.'' - Richard Gere (2002)

'I think that [the film] 'Clueless' was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.' - Alicia Silverstone (2000)

'At this moment in time, if that changes in years to come I don't know, but what happens here today and changes as we go along that is part of life's learning and part of your inner beliefs. But at this moment in time I did not say them things and at the end of the day I want to put that on record because it has hurt people.' - Former England football manager Glenn Hoddle 'explaining' his earlier comment that disabled people were being punished for misdeeds in a previous life. (1999)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home